Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Know Where You're Headed


Without being trite - we are over a month into the New Year, and I’ve been unusually focused on my expectations for 2014.  To do so is to walk a fine line between faith and forethought.   Somehow we have been conditioned to believe that we cannot have both. 
And yet, both are required.
Proverbs 4:25 says, "Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you." (Proverbs 4:25).  Our sight and our gaze should be focused on the path ahead, both to watch where we are going and to show unswerving determination to our task. (Lennox, S. J. (1998). Proverbs: a Bible commentary in the Wesleyan tradition (p. 62). Indianapolis, IN: Wesleyan Publishing House) 
One of the challenges we face concerning our future is to know where we are going.  Obviously faith plays a large role in this, yet we are also encouraged to use sound judgment and wisdom.  A wise course develops from careful forethought.  So I began to ask myself, “Where am I going?”   And in order to answer that question, we have to talk about change. 
When did we become so resistant to change by the way?
Instead of addressing where we are now, let’s begin to talk about where we want to go and what we want to be. Once we get a clear picture of our preferred future, our behavior will change.  That’s what knowing where you are headed does.  It allows us to see where we are in relation to where we need to be.  Focusing on the past and telling me I need to be different is not convincing.  But point me toward my preferred future and help me discover what I need to do in order to get there…now I am inspired. 
So the best place to begin any conversation about change is to know where you are headed.  What could be?  What should be?  What must be!  And by painting a compelling picture of where we could be, we’ll become discontented enough with where we are to change.  (Stanley, Andy (2012-09-25). Deep & Wide: Creating Churches Unchurched People Love to Attend (pp. 271-272). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.)   
The challenge is to know where you are headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment