Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Care amidst the Chaos


A finch landed in front of me at a traffic light this morning. 

Before my mind could finish thinking about how dangerous it was for something so small to be hopping and swooping about in traffic, it flew off to join hundreds more I had not even noticed roosting upon the wires above the road.  Each took their turns diving into traffic hoping, I suppose, to find nourishment among the cars.  I was struck by the fragility of the moment, how something so delicate could fearlessly go about its business among the chaos of modern transportation.     

I wish this happened more than it does, but sometimes in moments like this one, God speaks to me.  Watching this little bird I heard the Words of Jesus, “…not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Matthew 10:29 – 31) 

It turns out they can do what they need to do, unafraid, because our Father cares for them.

And the same is true for me and you.  There is something so sweet, so tender and comforting in the idea that our Father knows.  He pays attention to the things we often fail to notice and is even concerned about the details that we can’t manage or control.  Sovereignly, He reassures us of His provision and care.

And so it turns out, we can do what we need to do – without fear – because our Father cares from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment