Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Late to the Party


I admit it. We are late to the party – by about 20 years!

Last year as we were going through a lengthy study of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, I began to wonder why the effectiveness of the New Testament church seemed so foreign to me.  I had read about it many times in the book of Acts and even studied church history in college.  What became clear to me, cast me into a personal metamorphosis that would result in complete overhaul of our ministry model.  It occurred to me…

We don’t experience the same things they did because we don’t do church like they did.

I know the culture has changed and that our situation is largely different.  But frankly, the needs of people’s hearts – our – hearts, have not.  And honestly, it has been my experience that what we know and what we are comfortable with have replaced the simple, effective ministry of the New Testament. 

Looking back, the church grew exponentially at Pentecost.  And they stayed together with mutual commitment, “…And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers…” (Acts 2:42)  And they multiplied through community, “…And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.” (Acts 2:46 & 47)

Can I just say - that is what I want! 

I want to see God add to our number as often as He chooses and as much as He chooses.  So we set out on course to model our church after the pattern revealed in the book of Acts.  Commitments were made to the Word, to prayer and to fellowship.  Small groups were started to build relationship and create community within our body.

So far it has been more successful than I could have imagined.  The dynamic within our church is changing.  People are growing.  They are finally getting to know people they have been in church with for years.  I know we are late to the party but…

Better late than never!

No comments:

Post a Comment